Church Hunt Week 4
I am getting way behind on these posts. So I am going to throw down a few notes on my last 2 visits – some here and some in my next post.
Our week 4 visit found us at a small Baptist church just down the road from our house.
Here are the highlights:
- They went out of the way to welcome us as we made our way in
- The Sunday school class we visited was teaching straight from the bible
- The pastor welcomed comments DURING his sermon
- One family came up after the service and spent a long time talking to us
- The pastor hung out with me for a while after the service and allowed me to ask a lot of questions which he graciously and sincerely answered
- They were having a potluck after church and invited us to stick around – we took them up on it and the food was great. The family that spoke to us after the service asked to join us while we ate.
The not so high points:
- Musically all over the place as far as styles. Not a bad thing just different than what my family has experienced in the past.
- Little to no development for the teen-aged kids. I asked the pastor about this and he said that they were starting to build this program.
I mentioned in my previous post,Thoughts , that this was the first church that had me wondering if this is where we are supposed to be. There are several reasons for this question:
- Many things that I find important concerning discpleship seem to be in place in this church
- There is a need for gifts and talents that God has shaped our family for.
- The church is close enough that I consider it to be part of my community
We would need to make several more visits to this church to be sure but it is definitely in the mix of places that we will have to seriously consider.